Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Eh?

Friday, November 14, 2008
As alluded to in the couple of words I posted in "through these eyes" ... I'm still somewhat in shock about the latest news to grace the Canadian airwaves and front pages: the possible ... impending sale of the CN Tower.

My initial reaction was naturally shock and dismay complete with tsk tsk tongue clucking ... I mean, come on ... would the Americans ever think of selling their landmarks? Their representative symbols ...

And that's when my thoughts started changing somewhat. It's not as if the CN Tower represents Canadian history outside of the mere fact that it was built in Canada and is located in a major Canadian city. It's not our Statue of Liberty or anything ... it's the Seattle Space Needle ... is all it is. And that is surely not owned by the American government ...

So unless the CN Tower is going to become covered in gaudy advertising ... why should I be so shocked? And shouldn't I be thrilled to know that I live in a country that prides itself on not being in debt? That it makes the tough decisions necessary to ensure that it remains so?

Canada has routinely posted annual budget surpluses since the 1990s, the only G7 industrialized nation to do so, ... but fears that the country could dip into the red as the world grapples with the financial meltdown is the reason behind the possible sale ...

Fiscally responsible ... I kinda like that. Puts a different spin on this sale business, eh?

0 comments to Eh?: