Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Perils of the Full Moon

Friday, August 29, 2008
My entire life I’ve been haunted by old wives’ tales and silly superstitions … you know the stuff about ladders, black cats and cracks that’ll break someone’s back. It has taken concerted effort on my part to let go of these silly tales with no foundation in any kind of reality …
… but the effects of a full moon … now that’s a different matter. It isn’t that I totally believe that men sprout fully follicled body suits and howl at the moon … but when life takes a distinct side-ways tilt, I find myself searching the night skies. It never fails – I find the man in the moon looking down at me … a whole grin on his big round face.
Perils of the full moon …
Work relationships run amok … the household gets frenzied, alive with constant buzzing … it’s always during a full moon that full glasses of milk or other sticky liquid go flying across the kitchen floor or the pie I’m pulling out of the oven slips … and kerplats somewhere between the oven door and dribbles to the floor. It’s always during a full moon that life takes all the accumulated maybes and throws them at me.
Jonathan goes silent, the girls get snarly – we’ve got pre, menstrual and post all in one home, Dave gets talkative … the dog whines … the doorbell rings … I pay the pool guy without thinking when he hasn’t completed everything he promised to do …my Mom calls out of the clear blue sky and announces she’s coming to visit in less than 48 hours with my twelve year old nephew (first time in four years) … and I just stand there a little dazed … in the same sweat pants I fell asleep in ‘cuz I crashed after pulling a late-nighter finishing a report for an ever-increasing cranky boss. And it’s just 11 AM.
Maybe I’m the one with less patience …
Could it be my perception that changes once a month when the moon is full?
Can’t be me … I say somewhat less firmly than I would wish … as the dials, switches and gizmos in my mind try to ascertain whether balance truly exists within … like setting a plane to see if the bubble sits in the middle. System check determines I’m somewhat frazzled but definitely not as tilted as the rest of the world …
Phew …
Real or not … that system’s check gives me the green light to move forward as planned. All’s right in my world … let the others re-balance themselves. I’ll have to tiptoe a little more quietly for a few days, watch for flying glassware and subsequent liquid pools, stay a step ahead of tyrant boss and bite my tongue around

0 comments to Perils of the Full Moon: