Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

... of CEOs and Tee Blocks

Friday, August 29, 2008
Tim,Carrie and the girls are down from Sudbury for the week-end … so we’ve got a full house. I’m catching a few moments alone this morning … here as well as tying up a few loose ends at work before pandemonium erupts.
Adults are going golfing (yipee) and the kids are being watched by the girls. Didn’t get more than 3 holes in last week before the rains hit … but today looks like it just might hold out for a whole eighteen. I should be able to “whack” my work-related stress out on the white ball (okay so I use a pink ball … but let’s not get that picky). My drives are always longer and straighter when I can imagine someone’s head on the tee ….
Work related stress … politics … it drives me crazy. So arrogant CEO keeps sending out mixed signals … and I’ve started noting the subtle put-downs in every conversation. Why does every boss I work for have to be riddled with insecurity? Is that a pre-requisite?
Do I perhaps come off during interviews as less threatening, less competent than I actually am? Funny … one of the reasons I accepted this contract was because of CEO’s feedback - I believed that he knew who and what he was hiring … and he actually mouthed back the words …
Or … is it just a case of not being able to handle what you’ve wished for. Maybe it’s incompetence … doesn’t the principle say that everyone rises to that level? Or … sigh … maybe it’s just personality.
Me, me, me … blah, blah, blah …
He doesn’t listen … he over-reacts … assigns blame … is inconsistent … and now, micro-management …the branches I’m talking to have nothing but horror stories all based on the same … he doesn’t listen … speaks consultanese which never really says anything … assigns blame …
Oh lord … my intuition tells me that this is another one of those situations where I lose regardless … and seriously, do I really want to win?
Not much sense in wasting more time on this … complaining isn’t going to get me anywhere … but (grin) … now I know whose head I’ll be smashing on the tee-block

0 comments to ... of CEOs and Tee Blocks: